I LOVE lipstick. It is my absolute favorite makeup item. So I consulted again with my friend and very talented makeup artist, Candy Hannan, for tips on wearing lipstick for multi-hued skin tones. She and Marietta Carter-Narcisse, an international celebrity makeup artist, gave me some useful tips to pull off the ultimate lip color–RED.
Anyone can wear red lipstick. You just have to find the right shade of red to complement your individual complexion and personality. First, check to see if it is sheer, matte, or creamy. Choose a matte or sheer color if you want a more subtle look. I happen to love sheer color. One of my personal favorites is Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstain in Cranberry Crush. It won Allure’s Best Sheer Lipstick last year and it lives up to expectations. It stays on all day and you never have to reapply; I usually add a lip liner and blend to get better definition.
So when choosing a lip color, it is all about choosing the most flattering color as well as the right formulation for your needs. Below are some more tips on choosing the best red lip for your skin type. The next time you go shopping for red lipstick, follow these simple steps to help you find the right red for your skin tone.
- Take a few sheets of plain white paper or some unlined white index cards with you, even white tissues will suffice.
- Apply the colors that you like to the white paper.
- Check to see if there is an underlying color (this is the color that you usually see when you smear the lipstick).
- If the underlying color is blue, then the lipstick is in the blue-red family and will look good on you if your color palette is cool.
- If the underlying color is orange, the lipstick is in the orange-red family and will be great if your color palette is warm.
- If there is no underlying color, then the lipstick is a true red and voila anyone can wear it and look good.